Can I Sue the Federal Government for a Personal Injury?

Can I Sue the Federal Government for a Personal Injury?

It is possible to sue the federal government if you are injured by a government employee’s actions. In many cases, yes, you can sue the federal government. You should bear a few things in mind when you file your lawsuit.

To decide whether to pursue a case against the government, you need to understand these additional factors. Deldar Legal Injury Attorneys can analyze the facts of your case and provide you with advice about how to proceed and the likelihood of success. This article explains how to file a federal government claim.

Are You Able to Sue the Federal Government?

The federal government is liable in many cases for injuries you sustain as a result of a federal employee’s negligence. Bringing a claim against a federal entity differs from bringing a claim against any other entity in a few respects, such as exceptions, limitations, and different procedures.

It is important to understand the Federal Tort Claims Act, notice requirements, time limits, and limitations for recovering damages. In most cases, however, you can sue the federal government as long as you meet all of the requirements and you’re willing to go through the extra steps that come with bringing a claim against a federal agency.

A Claim Against Federal Government is Governed by State Law

The claim is governed by state law. The federal government may be sued under the same circumstances that you may sue a private party. You can do this at the same location where the accident occurred. Federal courts, however, deal with this type of claim. Your claim must be filed in the U.S. District Court, where judges decide cases without juries.

To Win My Case, What Evidence Must I Present?

You can typically bring your lawsuit under the same negligence arguments as you would if you were suing someone else. You must show that the person in charge violated their duty of reasonable care. The individual who violates their obligation must be a federal government employee in the context of a claim against the federal government.

If an employee violates their duty of care, you must show that the violation occurred while they were doing their official duties. You may need to file a claim against the accountable individual directly if they’re performing a personal errand or otherwise acting outside of their designated, official tasks. If they’re acting in the course of their job, though, you’ve fulfilled this condition.

Last but not least, you must demonstrate that the employee’s breach of duty caused your injuries. That’s what’s known as proving causation. You cannot claim compensation from the federal government if you’re injured for reasons other than the employee’s negligence. Nevertheless, if the employee broke his or her duty of care and you were hurt, you can sue the federal government for recovery.

Common Claims Against Federal Government

If you’re in an automobile accident with a federal employee, you may be able to sue the government. For instance, if you are injured as a result of a postal driver’s carelessness, you may be able to file a claim against the federal govt.

A claim based on premises liability is another typical claim against the government. If you go to a social security office to file a claim and slip on wet pavement, you may have a viable personal injury lawsuit against the federal government.

Are Contractors Included?

Federal contractors have not always been treated equally to federal workers. If you are injured as a result of a government contractor’s carelessness, you must usually file a claim against the contractor personally. The only exception is if the contractor is treated as an employee by the government. In that instance, you may face a factual disagreement over whether or not the contractor is a federal employee.

What is The Federal Tort Claims Act?

Lawsuits against the federal government are based on the 1946 Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). There has historically been a ruling that you can’t sue the federal government in England and the United States. It doesn’t matter how wrong they are or how terrible your damages are, you can’t sue the federal government because they’re like the king, and the king always wins.

Legislators felt that wasn’t fair, so they passed the Federal Tort Claims Act. Under certain circumstances, lawsuits can be filed against the federal government. Nevertheless, certain notice requirements don’t apply to lawsuits against private individuals.

The Claim Notice

You must give the federal government notice of your claim if you wish to file a tort action. If you intend to sue a government agency, you must file a notice of suit with their appropriate authority. Government officials require time to review your claim after you receive the notice. You may be able to get a settlement without bringing a formal lawsuit against them.

Standard Form 95 must be completed to provide notice. Be specific about how much damage you are seeking. It is also important to provide enough information for government officials to conduct an investigation and reach a decision. Ensure that your notice of termination is delivered to the proper person at the right agency.

Notice and Claim Filing Timeline

The government will respond to your notice within six months. You will have six months to file your formal lawsuit after receiving the reply. The statute of limitations is strictly two years for bringing a claim.

Limitations on Damage

Damages can be limited by a few methods. The FTCA does not allow you to collect punitive damages. Moreover, there is no pre-judgment interest in a claim. Attorney fees cannot exceed 20 percent of an administrative settlement if you settle before filing a formal lawsuit. Fees for an attorney cannot exceed 25 percent in a formal lawsuit.

What Can a Lawyer do for You?

It is more complicated to assert a negligence claim against the federal government. If you are seeking justice against the federal government, you must have an experienced personal injury attorney from Deldar Legal Injury Attorneys on your side right away.


Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury, Slip & Fall

Website developed in accordance with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0.
If you encounter any issues while using this site, please contact us: 844.335.3271