Slip and Fall Bus Accidents Jeopardize Health of Older Adults
For older adults in San Jose, public transit allows them to maintain their independence and is a convenient, cost effective option for running errands or getting to doctor appointments. While the city provides special services geared specifically to older adults, taking the bus still presents certain risks. Bus accidents involving slips and falls are common among older riders and can leave them suffering serious harm. To protect yourself, it is important to be aware of the dangers and to take certain precautions to reduce your risk of injury.
Older Adults and Slip and Fall Bus Accidents
The Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) provides the publicly funded City Ride Program for older adults and those living with disabilities. It provides free DASH bus service and reduced fare dial-a-ride (DAR) fares, with easy access to shopping centers, doctors’ offices, senior centers, and other points of interest. Thousands of older adults rely on these services but there are dangers of which riders need to be aware.
Slip and fall accidents are common when taking the bus. Unfortunately, older adults are among those most at risk. Common ways these accidents occur include:
- While attempting to board or get off crowded buses;
- When forced to stand due to a lack of seating during bus trips;
- When attempting to get to a seat or when moving toward the front of the bus after signaling for a stop;
- When bumps or jolts during the bus trip cause you to be thrown from your seat.
Slip and fall bus accidents can happen to riders at any age, but the injuries older adults suffer are often more severe. Muscle strains and sprains, dislocated joints, broken bones, and head injuries are all common with falls and can lead to a general decline in overall health.
Safety Tips for Older Adults When Riding the Bus
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls are a leading cause of disability and death for people over the age of 65. More than three million older adults seek treatment for fall injuries each year while these accidents prove fatal for nearly 30,000 others. To protect yourself, it is important to follow some simple safety tips when taking the bus:
- Wear comfortable, low heeled shoes with anti-slip tread on outings.
- Avoid carrying excess baggage with you when you go.
- Always hold onto handrails when getting on or off the bus.
- Request the driver wait to begin moving until you get to your seat.
- If forced to stand, head toward the middle of the bus.
- Rely on signals to indicate your stop.
In the event a slip and fall occurs, notify the driver so that an accident report can be filed and get medical care immediately, even if you think your injuries are minor.
Contact Our Bus Accident Attorney in San Jose
As experienced Los Angeles bus accident attorneys, Deldar Legal helps you get the compensation you are entitled to when bus accidents occur. Contact our office today to request a consultation.
Posted in: Slip & Fall